BREAKFAST TACO CASSEROLE
Meal prepping for the week? Looking for a no-fuss, easy to reheat delicious go-to breakfast? This Taco Breakfast Casserole is the recipe for you! Each bite is filled with turkey mince, veggies, and tortillas baked into cheesy salsa goodness. And even better – prep and bake in advance for an easy on-the-go reheat meal.
Serving Size: 1 square (205g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Nutrition Facts: 315 calories / 20g carbs / 27g protein / 12.5g fat
- 500g Turkey Breast Mince (can sub with any choice of meat)
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning (we used “McCormicks”)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red capsicum (diced)
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup salsa (we used “Old EL Paso” mild enchilada sauce)
- 8 “Mission” corn tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1 cup no fat milk (we used “A2”)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (conventional). Prepare a 9×13-inch baking pan by spraying with nonstick spray.
- Cook the turkey sausage and taco seasoning in a large skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and no longer pink. Break up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
- While the turkey is browning, in a separate skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the capsicum and onion to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are softened. Stir in salsa and remove from the heat.
- Slice the corn tortillas into 4 quarters. Whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt together in a large bowl.
- To assemble the casserole, layer ½ of the turkey mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with the veggie mixture and then half of the tortillas (16 quarters), overlapping as needed.
- Pour over approximately half of the egg mixture. Repeat the layers: turkey, veggies, the rest of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the eggs. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 180 degrees (uncovered) for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly before slicing into 8 even squares. Garnish with salsa, avocado, or diced green onions (macros not included.)
- To make this recipe dairy-free use unsweetened almond milk instead of the no fat milk and omit the cheese. Macros: 18.5C/24P/10.5F per serving.
- If you want to make a day ahead (but no bake): prepare the recipe through step 6. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight. Bake as instructed in step 7 when needed.
- Feel free to use any brand of salsa, cheese, and corn tortillas. The macros for most brands are generally very similar.
- Can also swap the Mince with 2 x Cans of Black beans for a meat free alternative.